New Kenyan Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha has asserted his principal mandate fully realize the Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC).
The CBC was mooted during the occupancy of former Education CS, Fred Matiang’ i, currently in charge of the Interior Co-ordination ministry and is displacing the older 8-4-4 system.
Here is a breakdown of the composition of the new curriculum:
1. Level 1; Early Years Education will take five years.
It shall contain two years of pre-primary and three years of lower primary school education.
Pre-primary education will be categorized into two levels: i.e., pre-primary 1(PP1) and pre-primary 2 (PP2).
2. In the new system, subject fields will be referred to as grade areas.
3. Instead of the old topics and sub-topics, they will be referred to as strands/sub-strands
4. Primary Education will be organized into three (3) levels: Early Years Education, Middle School Education, and Senior School.
5. Level 1; will be the Early Childhood Development Education ( total of 5 years) and it shall include two years of pre-primary and three years of lower primary school education).
6. Level 2; Middle School Education will take six years; three years in Upper Primary education and three years in lower Secondary Education.
Upper Primary is part of Middle School. It is a three-year programme where learners are exposed to a broad curriculum and given a chance to explore and experiment.
7. Secondary Education is designed into two levels namely, Lower Secondary which comprises Grades 7, 8 and 9 and Senior School which has Grades 10, 11 and 12.
Graduates of primary school Grade 6 will join lower secondary at Grade 7.
Senior school education targets students in the age bracket of 15 to 17 years and lays the foundation for further education and training at the tertiary level and the world of work.
8. Then comes specialization phase at senior school where the student has the option to choose between three paths: The Arts and Sports Science, Social Sciences or Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) pathway.
9. The Arts and Sports Science pathway comprise of Sports, Performing Arts and Visual Arts.
10. The Social Science Pathway consist of Languages & Literature, and Humanities & Business studies
11. The Science, Engineering, Technology, and Mathematics (STEM) pathway comprising of Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Technical & Engineering, Careers, and Technology Studies.
In a nutshell, the new curriculum will take up a 2-6-3-3 format.
Presently the new curriculum has been rolled out up to Grade 3 with Magoha saying he is determined to have it taken forward to Grade 4 beginning September 2019.