How do I legally change my names in Kenya? answered

Your Names are not cast in stone, and it is reasonable to change them. You may require services of a lawyer to make the desired change through the application of a legal document called a deed poll.

Having a deed poll, you can change your forenames and even surname, add more names, remove names or also rearrange your existing names.

There are a few rules to follow;

1. You can change your name at any point, and for any reason you provided, it is not to trick or defraud or to avoid an obligation.

2. If a wedded person makes an application for a change of name, then their husband or wife has to give consent to the suggested change of name.

3. For a divorced/separated person, a certificate from a qualified advocate that she/he is living independently from their spouse is required.

4. If the name change applicant is divorced then their certificate of marriage or proof of marriage together with proclamation absolute or certificate of divorce will be needed, to facilitate the change of name.

When all the legal requirements are concluded, the deed poll is then registered at the Principal Registry located in Nairobi or the Coast Registry for Coast region only.

The registrar or clerk shall after registration advertised in the Kenya Gazette as publicity to the public of the change of name.

The registrar or clerk may decline to accept a change of name, if;

1. The change is impossible to pronounce

2. Includes numbers, symbols or punctuation marks

3. Chosen names are offensive, vulgar or blasphemous.

4. Additional names that can be rejected are those which promote criminal activities, racial or religious hostility or use of controlled drugs.

5. Other names that cannot be listed are those that ridicule people, groups, companies or organisations and Government departments.

6. The Names that may result in the belief that you have a conferred or inherited title, honour, rank or academic award, for example, Lady, Prince, a change of the first name to Sir, Lord, Princess, Viscount, Baron, Baroness, General, Captain, Professor or Doctor.

Helpful contacts when you want to change your name legally

City hall way City Hall Annexe, P.O. Box 30075-00100

Nairobi, Kenya

Phone no: +254-020-2224281


Operating Hours: 8:00 am- 1.00 pm / 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm


Huduma Centres Nairobi



City Square-Haile Sellasie Avenue

National Registration Bureau

Block B 8th Floor, NSSF Building, P.O. Box 57007, 00200 Nairobi

Phone- +254-20-2722526, +254-20-2720069





Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here