MbeleNaBiz seeks to create more jobs and increase the income for young men and women in Kenya. The Government of Kenya recognizes the necessity for job creation to address the challenge of youth unemployment in the country. By investing in young entrepreneurs whose investments will generate more employment opportunities and incomes for unemployed youth, the Competition will commit to the development of an inclusive economy that gives opportunities for as many Kenyans as possible.
What is Mbele na Biz?
The MbeleNaBiz business plan competition in Kenya(“MbeleNaBiz”) is an initiative of the Kenyan Government, under the body of Kenya Youth Employment and Opportunities Project (KYEOP). The MbeleNaBiz initiative aims to expand new and also existing youth-led enterprises by giving them with grant funding and/or business plan coaching. MbeleNaBiz is executed by the Micro and Small Enterprises Authority (MSEA), Youth and Gender Affairs (MPYG), and also with the Ministry of Public Service, with assistance from the World Bank. KPMG has been contracted to manage the MbeleNaBiz program.
Qualifications and requirements for Mbele na biz
Selected businesses totaling 750 will be awarded grants of between Ksh 900,000 and Ksh 3,600,000. Here are the requirements to participate in the mbelenabiz competition:
- A Kenyan must own the business
- Must be a youth (18 to 35 years)
- The business Will create jobs for youth
- Have high growth potential
- Must have reached a good study level
Now lets discuss this a little bit in details.
The lead applicant and the majority (at least 70%) of the business shareholders must be aged between 18 and 35 years at the time of application.
The lead applicant of Mbelenabiz must be a Kenyan national. Kenyans living overseas are eligible to apply for the competition but will need to prove that they will live and manage the business in Kenya should their application be victorious.
Level of education
The lead applicant for the competition must have completed a minimum of Form 4 criterion or equivalent.
The business must operate entirely in Kenya
How to apply for Mbele Na Biz
You can apply either online or through filling manual forms, here are the procedures for application;
- Go to the official MbeleNaBiz applications website
- Click the Apply Now button and a new page will load on a KPMG page
- Click Register button (Here, Enter your email )
- Fill the Biz registration form with the needed details and accept the terms
- A confirmation link will be instantly sent to your email. Click it to create a new password
- You will be logged in after creating a password.
- Verify the information which you entered and again click the Save button.
- You will be redirected to your Mbele na biz account.
- Click the My and Applications tab and then New application
- You will now see the MbelenaBiz Business Plan Competition, on the screen left side click APPLY
- Read the competition terms and conditions that popup and agree
- Start filling the application form by clicking the NEXT button after duly completing each section
- When you have completed filling your application form, Validate the details and then submit
1. Online application
Visit the official site www.mbelenabiz.go.ke to find the link to the application online website and application instructions.
2. Paper application
For those youth without any access to the internet or a computer device, it will be possible to present a paper application form through a Youth Development Officer, a registered partner, or by attending one of the MbeleNabiz workshops.
We strongly urge submission of applications online, nonetheless, as capturing information through paperwork applications has a much higher risk of many mistakes.
Application forms download
You can download the mbele na biz application forms online after completing the steps above. The form can be filled offline and submitted to the nearest administrative centre. We, however, encourage you to use the online application form so that your form is not lost somewhere.
How to fill in the details of your Business
When filling in the form, you will come across some very important things. Here are some of the key things that you need to fill.
- Your Business Idea Title
- The business Focus Area
- Is your business idea in any way related to your current business?
- Tell us a little about your business idea slot is required.
- How many youth jobs is your business idea going to generate in the next 12 months (Yourself excluded)? Within the above info, how many jobs for young women is required?
- Explain briefly how the jobs above are going to be created?
- Apart from the jobs, explain briefly how your business idea will benefit other people in Kenya and where applicable the environment, the efficiency, and productivity gains etc
- What sets you apart from your Biz competitors?
- What are the key risks to your business idea?
- How do you plan to use the funds received?
- Do you have any other sources of funding?
- Business Shareholders
Types of business allowed for Mbele na bizna
Any business idea from a Kenyan youth is accepted at the MbeleNaBiz initiative competition so long as a youth leads it, is within Kenya and not abroad, it should have high potential growth and will also create jobs for other fellow youths in the country. You are eligible to apply your business from any category that you want.
MbeleNaBiz competition Winning ammount
The Mbele na Bizz competition for business ideas will award a total of 750 youths who will emerge to be the best in the competition with either a prize of Ksh 900,000 or Ksh 3,600,000. Other prizes will be a free business guidance for the applicants who participated in the competition.
Deadline for application
Youths are encouraged by the initiative to apply between Monday 24th June 2019 to Monday 2nd September 2019 which is the deadline for the applications. You should clearly indicate your details and how your business idea could employ more youths to stand a chance of winning the big prize. Winners will be announced on February 2020.
Be aware that there is no any application fee, so please do not make any payment whatsoever to apply to the Competition. But note that applicants invited for business training would have to cover the cost of the travel to the training venues.
Mbele Na Biz contacts
Phone :+254 709 576 464