When someone mentions the word CRB, it sends a sharp spine along the hearts of many loans taking individuals more so from Mpesa and new credit lending institutions. Even if you ask them the real definition of the word, CRB which stands for credit reference bureaus in Kenya where loan donors submit the details of individuals who fail to repay their credit and they go with a motto Negligence is never anything to maintain your loan to end.
Another question that people ask themselves are we listed with the CRB? Alternatively, how do I check my CRB loan status online in Kenya? Inside our Country, we have three institutions with clearance to check on none performing loans, Transunion, Metropol and CreditInfo. Moreover, for one to obtain their credit details, they have to register with either one or all of the required Credit Reference Bureaus. The big reason as to why it is recommended that you check your details with all the CRBs is because lenders sometimes do send details to all companies, therefore, necessitating clearing CRB status from all companies, today we are going to tell you online ways on how to check an individual’s CRB status online;
With Metropol, the initial step is to locate Metropol website or download Metropol Cristobal app or dial *433# This is a timely response to many who want to know how to look for CRB status online in Kenya utilising mobile.
If you have chosen to enrol with Metropol, next follow the following steps keenly.
To Register With Metropol
- The initial step is to Pay Ksh 50 as registration cost through the Paybill digits 220388.
- Enter your national ID number as the account number.
- Next, You will get an SMS including your unique Code details, a special Link, a Reference Number.
The following step is to locate Metropol services upon payment of the registration fees;
- Dial *433# and input your Identification Number and you will then get your details via the SMS.
- Another option is by Metropol crystobol application within your cell phone.
- Alternatively, you can visit the Metropol website and log in to view your CRB status.
Metropol also offers to arrange of services, and you can make payment using the same steps showing when checking CRB status online in Kenya.
- A Credit Score of ksh 150. One has the right to one free account report in a year. Metropol awards points between 200 and 900, and with any points below 400 will interpret that you’re a defaulter and lenders cannot give you any loans. A score above 400 will mean fair, and lenders will be in a position to provide you with loans with much caution. A good credit score is any score close to 900, and preceding lenders will offer you cheap loans.
- For one to get a Credit Report, you will be expected to Pay Ksh 250; This is a report profoundly explaining how you interact with financial institutions.
- To find out who listed you to CRB, you are expected to pay Ksh 50 to identify who forwarded your name to the CRB.
- Moreover, finally, to obtain a Clearance Certificate, one will be asked to Pay Ksh 2200. Following clearing all your defaulted loans, you will be issued with a clearance certificate from CRB.
Other Metropol charges in summary;
- Credit Score – Kshs 150
- Blacklist Status – Kshs 50
- Credit Report – Kshs 250
- Who Has Blacklisted Me – Kshs 50
- Clearance Certificate – Kshs 2200
2. How to check CRB status in Kenya online using TransUnion
The following are numerous methods one can Check their CRB status online in Kenya from TransUnion CRB
- Initially, you can send an SMS to number 21272
- Second is by TransUnion CRB app called, TransUnion Nipashe app
- Moreover, third through TransUnion website.
If you choose to check your state with TransUnion understand the steps below:
Register with TransUnion by:
- Send your full names to 21272
- Enter your ID number
- Choose CC (for Credit Status)
Upon getting your CRB status as valid this will mean a favourable situation that is to say you are not blacklisted on CRB, upon receiving a default message it will indicate a negative status means that you are blacklisted
You can also use Other TransUnion Services including:
- A Credit Report one is entitled an absolutely free credit report in a year, and upon payment of Ks 650 to Paybill, number 212121 and the account number should be your national ID to access more than one report in a year.
- One can also get a Clearance Certificate superimposed payment of Ks 2200 to Paybill number 212121 and use your national ID number as the account number. To get your CRB clearance certificate, you will be required to register on TransUnion website using your email address. After payment, you can claim your license by sending your Mpesa message to firstname.lastname@example.org
Transunion Steps in Summary;
- Text your complete names to 21272 or 21CRB. Note: SMS Charges cost Ksh 19 download the TransUnion Nipashe app to save on SMS charges
- Register by paying a one-off fee of Kshs 50 to PayBill number 212121 and use your National ID as account number
- Request for your credit status CR (Credit Report)
- Reply with your email to access it
- Receive your CRB status. (Good means a positive status(not blacklisted) and default means a negative status ( you are blacklisted))
- For subsequent credit reports, Pay Kshs 650 to either Mpesa/Airtel PayBill number 212121 and your National ID Number as an account number. This enables you to get more than one Credit report in a year
- For a Clearance Certificate, pay Ksh 2200, then Email your Mpesa/Airtel transaction details to email@example.com and you will be emailed back the Clearance Certificate.
3. How to check your CRB Status online through CreditInfo
CreditInfo entirely operates on the information they receive through emails. Nonetheless, first you will be needed to fill;
Online credit request form to gain access to your certificate of clearance.
- For a certificate of clearance, please fill in the Credit Certificate application form here
Moreover, if you feel that your Credit Report Contains incorrect information, you will be asked to fill Credit report Dispute form here.
How to clear with CRB
If your credit report is not good, ie blacklisted, you may need to remove your name with CRB Kenya online. You will have to request for the creditor that sent your bad reports to CRB. This attracts a fee of KSH 50.
If wrongfully blacklisted, just visit the concerned creditor to resolve the issue by either clearing your credit or making them know that you have never borrowed from them.
You will be provided with a clearance certificate, scan and email it to a CRB that you are registered with
The law wants that a Creditor must alert a customer before blacklisting him/her on the CRB blacklist. However, At times this does not happen.
This lead to the initiation of a regulatory government body called the Credit Information Sharing [CIS] which looks deeply into unfavourable situations in the Credit industry.
CIS created a constitutionally recognised help centre named Tatua Center which offers free assistance to place and resolve disputes with CRB and creditors
How to Contact CRBs
This post will lead you on how to contact CRBs in Kenya. Most people do not know that different Credit Reference bureaus have been licensed by the Central Bank (CBK) of the Kenyan government for credit referencing.
We are likewise going to give you the contacts of each bureau to facilitate your clearance or questions. People get booked on CBRs for several mistakes like late payment of loans and tax evasion.
With the initiation of Mobile Loan Apps in Kenya, most people find themselves blacklisted on CRB. You may not know how to reach them and clear your name. Consequently, this post will help you out.
As such, it is essential to maintain a good credit record so that you can advance to get loans in the future.
When you need to know your credit report or would want to get a Credit Clearance Certificate, it clearly indicates you should reach one of the licensed Credit Reference Bureaus in the country.
This is how you contact a CRB in Kenya
Some of the licensed bureaus include; CreditInfo, TransUnion Kenya, and Metropol Crystobol. Here is how you can communicate with them to get your name cleared from their list.
1. TransUnion Kenya
The Transunion Kenya has started an innovative new SMS short code answer that enables consumers in Kenya to easily access their credit information. We have devoted this comprehensive article to explain that to you.
TransUnion Africa is found at the Prosperity House, Westlands Rd, Off Museum Hill in Westlands, Nairobi.
Use the following data if you need to contact TransUnion Africa.
- Tel: 020 3751799/3751360/2/4/5
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.crbafrica.com
- Date permitted: 9th Feb 2010
2. Creditinfo Kenya
Creditinfo Kenya’s core business is information associated with credit, offering services to cover each stage of the customer lifecycle.
- Call:+254 20 375 7272
- Physical address: Spark Suite, Parklands road
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Date permitted: 29th April 2015
- Website: https://ke.creditinfo.com/
3. Metropol Corporation
Metropol Corporation is the foremost provider of debt management services and business information in the Eastern Africa region. The Metropol’s vision is to become Africa’s leading business report and debt administration company.
This is the common established Credit Reference Bureau in Kenya found in various towns in Kenya.
- Physical address: Shelter Afrique, Upper Hill
- Tel: 020 2689881/27113575
- Mobile: 0727 413 733/0732 774666
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.metropol.co.ke
- Date licensed: 11th April 2011
Service branch is found at the Eldo Bliss Hotel, 1st floor.
Service Branch established at the NSSF building, 6th floor, North Wing.
Nakuru service branch is placed at the Wilmur House.