Information Technology courses in Kenya(IT courses) are among the most inquired after courses based on their competitive nature. With everything currently going digital, the skill is one of the most beneficial and most needed in companies despite of the industry. As so, it is not extraordinary that students endeavour to join an IT course whenever possible.
With most undergraduates having completed their secondary education, everyone seems for a relevant study area that will assist them to hit off in their careers. Consequently, the number of students endeavouring for knowledge of different career choices is high. IT courses are unquestionably among those that students are taking a keen interest in.
IT courses in Kenya
When looking forward to joining any college or university to study for IT, various questions come up. Amongst these are; How long does a diploma course take in Kenya? How long does a certificate course take? Apart from the issues of the term, some of the most common concerns are related to the qualifications needed for one to join these institutions. Apparently, the level at which you desire to study will determine the entry qualifications. What you need to study for a certificate, diploma or degree in IT will vary.
IT courses have several objectives including:
- Giving students a broad base of knowledge in Information Technology for prospects of managing information in a changing modern world.
- To present a unique understanding of the different perspectives forming the context of IT.
- Presenting graduates with practical and different real-world illustrations of service and facilities found in a modern business world.
- To churn IT specialists with the right qualifications that will be acknowledged and be relevant in the modern world
What is a diploma in Information Technology?
Diploma in Information Technology programme presents an interdisciplinary approach in the training of IT professionals that require working competency for all economic sectors. This is a subject that you should consider because it will qualify you for the real business world which you will be venturing into. The requirements for a diploma in a college such as Mount Kenya University are as follows:
- A KCSE or equivalent certificate having a minimum of grade C and grade C- (minus) in both English and mathematics or similar grades in an equivalent examination recognised by the University Senate or
- Certificate in relevant disciplines in the area of Information Technology from an institution recognised by the university senate.
With these, anyone can enrol for a Diploma in Information Technology(IT). Being one of the top grade C- courses in Kenya, a lot of students can actually apply for it.
Colleges offering IT courses
Numerous colleges and universities are providing a certificate in Information Technology(IT) in Kenya. Others grant higher levels of the same. With different stipulations of the area of study, there is something for everyone who is ready. The following list is a few examples of the best colleges that you can check out. Weigh the following whenever you are checking out ICT courses in Kenyan universities.
1. Pioneer International University
This college awards Bachelors of Science in Information Technology for the following options:
Management Information Systems
- Software Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
- Distributed Systems
- Security Systems
To be accepted for the IT course with any of the above specialisation, an aspiring student must have achieved a minimum of KCSE core of C+ or an equivalent of the same. The course takes three years on full-time study foundation or an equivalent time on a part-time basis.
2. Kaimosi Friends University College
To Join this college, you must have a minimum of C+ with a C+ in Mathematics. The IT course term takes four years to complete.
3. Murang’a University College
The IT course at the college takes eight semesters. To join this IT college, you must have attained a minimum of C+ in KCSE with a C plain in English or Mathematics.
4. Meru University of Technology
It would be best if you had a minimum grade of C+ in KCSE and a C plain in either Mathematics or English.
5. Multimedia University of Kenya
To study It at this institution, you need a minimum grade of C+ in KCSE and C plain in Mathematics or Physics. This will take you four years.
6. Kibabii University
To be an IT student at this Bungoma based university, you must have achieved a minimum of C+ in KCSE.
7. Tracom College Nakuru
To join Tracom College, you need a minimum of grade C+ in KCSE with a C plain in English, Kiswahili or Mathematics.
Apart from those discussed above, other colleges offering IT with different specifications include:
- Zetech University main campus
- IAT Yaya Center
- Alphax College Eldoret
- Loreto College Msongari
- Nairobi Institute of Technology
- Sigalagala Polytechnic
- Embu University College
With several colleges offering Information technology courses in Kenya, students have a diversity of options to consider. Whether you plan to pursue a diploma, certificate, or degree course, you can always find something that suits your needs.