Owners of Homeboyz bus that killed 55 passengers in Kericho arrested

Home boys bus

Police in Kakamega has detained the owners the ill-fated Homeboyz bus which killed over 55 passengers following toppling and rolling several times in Fort Ternan along Londiani-Muhoroni road.

Their detention came a few hours following the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) Director General Francis Meja stated the bus registered under Western Cross Express Sacco was not permitted to operate at night.

yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7 - Owners of Homeboyz bus that killed 55 passengers in Kericho arrested

Hobeboyz Football Club Chairman Cleophas Shimanyula alias Toto was arrested alongside Bernard Isindu. Toto is a key stakeholder in Sacco which bus controlled by Isindu was registered. Photo: Mediamax ltd
Source: UGC

The Kericho county Police Commander James Mogera announced Bernard Isindu and Cleophas Shimanyula nickname Toto were arrested on Wednesday, October 10, hours following the 4am incident that crashed the hearts of many Kenyans with a catastrophic death toll.

“The two have been arrested and are in the hands of police officers. They are key proprietors of the Sacco which the bus belongs to,” Mogera said.

Exposeke understands Shimanyula is also a key stakeholder of Homeboyz football club which plays in Kenya Premier League top flight.

Reliable sources intimated that the two businessmen were arrested at Kakamega Central Police Station revealing that Isindu was the bus owner while Shimanyula is a major stakeholder in the Sacco which the bus was registered under.

yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7 - Owners of Homeboyz bus that killed 55 passengers in Kericho arrested

The Hobeboyz bus which veered off the road and rolled severally killed 55 passengers. It was registered under western Cross Express Sacco. Photo: Citizen.
Source: UGC

National Traffic Police Commandant Samuel Kimaru had indicated earlier in the day thatthe owners of the bus would not be left to walk scot free following the heart wrenching incident attributed to negligence and carelessness by not only the driver but also proprietors of the bus company.

A fortunate survivor in the incident which put Kenya on international media headlines for sad reasons said the bus was speeding, had extra passengers and was following the control of a driver who ignored calls to moderate the speed.

“There was confusion at the beginning of the journey. We left Nairobi city centre for Western Kenya but on reaching Westlands the bus was recalled to pick some more passengers. The other commuters exceeded the number of empty seats and sat of the floor of the vehicle. The driver was speeding and ignored our calls to slow down before accident,” the survivor known as Opondo said.

To share with Exposeke.com anything text us on 0713457481 or email exposeke.com@gmail.com

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.